Tuesday, August 27, 2013

 At Age 86, She Is Amazing. 08/20/20130 Comments Age isn't the boundary, its your mind. Where there is a will, there is a way. At age 86 ..... Add Comment The World's Oldest Yoga Teacher Turns 95 Today. 08/13/20130 Comments Master Tao Porchon-Lynch is a yoga master, ballroom dancer, oenophile (lover of wine) former actress, and, without a doubt, my favorite model/person/woman/yogi in the whole world. Tao surprised me last year and showed up for a shoot in a gorgeous red dress in New York City’s Central Park, shortly before she officially entered the Guinness Book of World Records, as the oldest living yoga teacher. The following 16 images are from three separate shoots over the last year and a half. Each time, Tao wore a different color. She is turning 95 today, August 13. And I just wanted to wish her a Happy Birthday and show her off to you. I could go on and on about what an inspiring, bright & joyful human being she is, but my job is to tell peoples stories with images. And so, here’s a few from our last three shoots, all taking place at different locations around New England. Picture “Yoga is a dance within…and then something inside you grows so big, it spills out like champagne, that’s when you dance on the outside.” ~ Tao Porchon-Lynch “Autumn is a reminder that while the leaves die and fall, there will always be Spring, a chance to replenish and be reborn again. We all have the opportunity to replenish ourselves, to be reborn.”~ Tao at 94. “I never say goodbye, I say, “au-revoir.” Goodbye is so final. Au-revoir means I will see you again.” ~ Tao Porchon-Lynch Picture


 Picture  Tina Turner Graces the Cover of 'Vogue' at 73 & Amazes Us All 08/10/20131 Comment In Germany, Someone Over SEVENTY!!!! beautifully graces the cover of Vogue!! Why not the US??? Take note, Anna Wintour (and most fashion editors for that matter!): I’ll be buying a copy of German Vogue this month, even though I won’t be able to understand much of the text. Why? Because Tina Turner, their gorgeous, accomplished cover model, has at least four decades on the typical face on the front of the vast majority of women’s magazines. It’ll be the Queen of Rock 'n' Roll's first time on the cover of Vogue, and yes, of course, Turner’s officially the oldest person to do such a thing -- though you might remember last year’s 62-year-old U.S. Vogue cover girl ... Meryl Streep! Yet another American "queen," Streep became Vogue’s then-oldest cover girl in January 2012. Shot by Annie Leibovitz, Streep looked both ravishing AND her age (more or less) in the photos, and for that I tip my hat to Wintour (not that she cares about my surely pedestrian headwear). Though there have been a few notable "older" women on U.S. Vogue’s cover (like Michelle Obama in March 2009, at the ripe old age of 45; and a 47-year-old Madonna in August 2005), like the Streep cover, the median age of cover models since 2000 was 30. A more typical example would be someone like Rooney Mara or even Lady Gaga. Now, 30 of course is considered ancient to anyone under 22, but in reality, 30 is a spring chicken! Thirty does NOT herald the beginning of the end of attractiveness and desirability, as our modern, youth-obsessed culture would make it seem: a destructive, depressing notion that cover girls like Meryl Streep and Tina Turner BLAST away. Turner makes an ideal Vogue cover: she’s stylish, fascinating, accomplished, and beautiful -- the only thing that sets her apart from most fashion mag cover ladies are a few extra decades' worth of aging. Wearing a silk blue Armani dress, red lips, and her famous blond hair, Turner of course looks amazeballs on the cover; or, as they declare, "Simply the best!" I don’t even care that it’s surely been Photoshopped, or that her hair is obviously not naturally that color (still? ever?). I understand that fashion is aspirational, and a certain amount of magic and art goes into looking gorgeous, in person and in print. The point is that she’s THERE, she looks fab. I wish we would see more covers like that, and not just in some hokey annual "FABULOUS AT ANY AGE" issue, when they trot out well-preserved celebs as examples of how even old fogies in their 40s, 50s, and -- gasp! -- 60s can still be attractive. I’ll definitely get my hands on a copy of this magazine, if only so I can leave it around my house in the hopes that my 9-year-old daughter will spot it. What a great visual reminder -- for both of us -- that beauty doesn't end at ANY decade. It doesn't have to do with how old you are at all. Do you think more magazines should put older women like Tina Turner on their covers? Image via German Vogue 1 Comment


 EMBRACE YOU AGE   07/16/20131 
Comment The Fashion Magazines give you about 45 good years and then, I guess you should start giving up. Once you hit 50, you are clumped in with 60, 70, and 80 year olds. God forbid you live to your 90's. No wonder women have such poor self-esteem. There are very few good role models for women to look up to who have paved the way with grace and elegance. Don't even mention Joan Rivers. How depressing is this? This society is so youth conscious and yet hardly anyone can really maintain the standard. Those that do, commonly, end up with some sort of mental condition. Like Brittney Spears, Miley Cirus, or Amanda Bynes. Jennifer Anniston can't even get married. They seem to have EVERTHING, and yet, even they can't keep up with the Amercian ideal that we have to be perfect. With the tabloids zooming in on every speck of cellulite no wonder women are depressed. No wonder women are getting more obese. There is some logic to the thought, "why even try?' Where is the Female Doctor Phil? We need a Good Woman Doctor or Role Model to talk some sense into women and how they should look at their lives. Upon what do we base the true value of ourselves? By how many Birkin bags we have in different colors? What and the hell has Kim Kardashian done to be famous. She is famous for being famous and yet people are fascinated with her. Why? What has she done for society? What contribution has she made to mankind? Has she won a Nobel prize? Does she even have a college degree? Has she ever even held a job? That's the problem. Almost 99% of people have to work in order to live. Most people have to budget their money and buy a house and plan for retirement. Why is Kim so idolized? I am offended that she is even on the same magazine cover as Princess Kate who at least is real Royalty. Even Princess Kate, who doesn't have to work, or worry about a mortgage, goes out in to the community and does good charitable things. Even while pregnant she has made public appearances and has remained the epitome of respectability and style. Has the American psyche sunk so low that Kim Kardashian is our Royalty? All we saw her do during her pregnancy was watch her eat, get fat, and then try to find clothes that still made her look "glamorous." What has this human being contributed to anything other than retailer's pocketbooks? I have heard it said that every soul, before it comes in to the world, has a purpose. I guess based on past lives, karma, or whatever, there is something important that must every soul believes is important to accomplish. Of course, I have no empirical data to support this whatsoever, but doesn't it somewhat ring true in your heart? Obviously it must ring true to me or I wouldn't be writing this.. The decline in our culture is so sad, that I must speak out. It may not seem that Fashion Over Fifty is such a "deep" topic, but in many ways, to me, it is. It is about accepting who we are, including our flaws and imperfections. It is about loving ourselves, because if we can't love ourselves I don't think we can love others. It is about having self-respect, even if you aren't PERFECT. Hence, the Mission of this Website: To provide support, advice, and encouragement to women in their 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even 100's to embrace who they are with dignity and respect. I am off to Peru and Machu Pichu, where people have said that it is a life changing experience. I will be thinking about the Mission of this Website and I will look for inspiration so that I can share it with other women and hopefully make a difference in the world. 1 Comment


 WHAT AM I MISSING? 07/13/20133 Comments What am I missing? The "baby-boomers" are the LARGEST demographic alive today. BABYBOOMERS CONSTITUTE: "26 Percent of the Population, 40 Percent of the Economy"by BILL NESS on MAY 7, 2012 Baby Boomers grew up during periods of dramatic social change and they are often known as being a generation of trendsetters. Yet Baby Boomers obviously don't realize that they are the single largest economic group in the United States. They have more discretionary income and their spending habits greatly affect the changing economy. According to Baby Boomer Magazine, the Baby Boomer generation currently has more discretionary income than any other age group. They control most of the net worth of American households and they account for 40 percent of total consumer demand. Picture Tagged as: Baby Boomers, Economy, Retirement Okay, so what am I missing? We comprise 1/4 of the population and we spend 40% of all money spent. Why are there NO clothes for women over 50? Okay there is Eileen Fischer if you want to look like a BAG!! I guess there is also Chico's which basically looks like we never gave away our "hippie" clothes, and we refuse to accept anything modern. What are designers thinking? There is a HUGE demographic of women out there over 50 who can afford more for their clothes, yet it remains practically impossible to find anything fashionable. Fashion magazines have graciously added features on to the "Look Good at Any Age" for 50 and 60 year olds. However, even then, the outfits that are selected look ridiculous. The models on the runway have skirts above their knees; bare legs; dresses with no sleeves, and basically maybe one or two other items "toned down", like a very conservative purse or scarf. This is to remind you that although you are wearing clothes that are too young for you, you are still OLD!! Come on. Not many women can wear a skirt above the knee after 55, unless they get them lifted. And, no stockings ?? Who doesn't have spider veins or some other flaws on their legs? I get it, forget about looking fashionable, just spend your money on plastic surgery; like Demi Moore who had her knees "lifted" and God knows how many laser treatments to get rid of the spider veins and hyper-pigmentation. Let's face it, using self-tanning on the legs in the middle of winter looks ridiculous!! Princess Kate, the most tasteful and chic dresser alive today, wore stockings while touring across the world. Not only is it practical, it also looks so much more refined. Who started this "bare legged" trend anyway? Plastic surgeons no doubt. If you can wear a sleeveless dress after 55 you are either anorexic or related to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Or maybe you have recently had the ultrasonic fat-melting procedure that I recently saw on Dr. Oz. (I am definitely considering that one because it ranges from 200.00-300.00 dollars a session and results were seen instantaneously, really.) Not to say that we should never go sleeveless, but it should be considered VERY carefully and get the opinion of two really GOOD friends!!! Heaven forbid you live past 70. The Magazines have given up on you. If you go on a cruise don't even consider wearing a bathing suit. The National Geographic will have a field day with your cellulite. I guess you just have to go swimming with your clothes on. Forget shorts too. On the safari to Africa, you must sweat to death in pants because there are no tasteful shorts, skorts, or gauchos anywhere. Basically, you should just give up on having fun unless you plan on wearing your Eileen Fischer or Chico's clothing. I say that we as Baby Boomers should PROTEST!!!! After all, we outnumber the other generations, we have more money and more clout. I say don't shop at Dior, Ungaro, Gucci, Dolce and Gabbana, or at any other designer's salons until they come out with decent clothes for us "old folk". (I have to admit, I do think Armani designs are suitable for almost all ages and the quality is for the most part outstanding). Unless all of the women from Abu Dabbi can keep them in business (which may be true), let's see what a boycott will do to them!! 3 Comments

  SHORTS FOR THE OVER FIFTY!!!! 07/10/20132 Comments Again, back to demographics. The magazines are directing their styles and marketing to women in their 30's and 40's. I had kids later in life, but I know that in my 40's I was busy with kids. I think most women who decide to have kids are also busy with them in their 30's and 40's, whether they work or not. Any "spare" money (none), went to my boys' hobbies. They were into making models, and playing Japanese card games (I spent at least one Gucci bag on those alone.), and music and art lessons. Activities like Paint-Balling, Go-Carting, taking all the friends to movies and lunch, etc. added up to sufficient amounts of money. If I had girls I can only imagine how much more I would have been spending on clothes. More importantly, I not only didn't have the money, but I didn't have the time to go "Shopping" for the latest and greatest outfits. I would usually go in to Macy's which was right next door to my son's art lessons; I raced for an hour and a half to find something just to find something. Going through my closet I think I have given most of those things away: a) because they are now out of style; or b) because I was buying just to buy, and to keep myself from feeling deprived. So, during the peak years when according to the magazines, I should have been buying Dolce and Gabana dresses or Gucci handbags, I wasn't able to. Somehow, I think I speak for the 98% of American's. If you are in the 2%, or you are Rachel Zoe and can take your baby to work with you while you design clothes, then this Blog is not for you. By the time the kids are grown and off to college you are at least in your late 40's or early 50's and maybe in your late 50's and early 60's. By this time, your knees have begun to sag; it's impossible to wear the mid-rise jeans without a tummy tuck; and your legs are now showing lots of little spider veins that to you look like varicose veins. I actually have a couple of those. Hence my obsession this summer and the past few summers with SHORTS!!! How to wear shorts? Even Michelle Obama could not have found shorts at J. Crew this season. Most of them would have looked ridiculous, and the shorts they called "Bermuda's" had only a 10 inch inseam. That would make the shorts hit about 2-3 inches above the knee, depending on your height. As you can see in my photo, my knees have begun to sag despite the fact that I think I exercised more than the average American woman throughout my life. Yes, I did aerobics in the 80's. I did kick-boxing in the 90's. Jeanette, Queen Latifa's ex-girlfriend, was my trainer and she kicked my butt.(She fired me because I couldn't keep up!) In the 00's I did everything. Spinning, kick-boxing, weight training, you name it. And still, my knees are sagging. Yes, some of this may be genetic but from what I can tell from the rest of my body, nothing is moving North. So, my mission was to find the perfect style of SHORTS. These are the rules: The Rules for Shorts Over Fifty 1) the inseam should be no shorter than 12-13 inches depending on your height ; 2) the bottom of the shorts should hit about mid-knee cap; 3) you can roll them up, or shorten them, but it sometimes depends on the width of the leg 4) try to find a waistband that is no lower than 2 inches below the belly button (almost impossible to find) and hopefully, even at the waist (can you imagine, a waistline at the waist?) and; 5) be creative because there isn't a lot out there. Summer of 2013's Best Shorts KUT from Nordstrom's INC. from Macy's A. Goldschmeid Ex-Boyfriend JAG from Marhsall's Cut-off an old pair of Jeans Boys/Men's Dept. Diva from Old Navy Vince First, a picture of my beautiful saggy knees, and why I would like not to highlight them!! Picture The easiest trick of all is to go to the men's department. Why is it they make long shorts for men but they don't make them for women? This makes no sense and honestly makes me so mad. Anyway, I weigh between 115 and 120 depending on the week, month, year.. This generally translates in to a size 4. Lucky for me, I found my boys' shorts that they were going to give away and I thought: "what about me?" Their old size 18-20 shorts fit and the waist actually came up to my waist. Consider that, they don't make men suffer like they do us women. Here is a pair that I found but because they were so baggy, I thought it looked better to make them a bit shorter. One leg is hemmed an inch shorter. Picture Picture Another good trick is to find an old pair of jeans that are literally on their last legs. Although today I think the jeans that sell for 200.00 and more, look like they are on their last legs, but what do I know? Anyway, try them on and cut them longer than you want. Then, roll them up until you think they look right. Keep cutting a little longer than you want until you are satisfied, because it is easy to cut them too short and then you are stuck. Here is a photo of my favorite jeans that they don't even make anymore. I cut them in to shorts and had patches sewn on and I think patches are even back in style!! Picture Picture The best brand I found this summer is a new one to me. It is called KUT. It is reasonably priced around 65.00 and the waist is almost at waist level!! I found them at Nordstrom's. They are narrow in the legs but comfortable. For me, these are the most stylish and comfortable. Picture Picture Believe it or not, I found a longer pair at Old Navy. They are called the DIVA. The waist is a little too low and the legs a little too long. But, you can roll the legs up to the desired length or have them shortened. For women with longer legs, these would be a good design. You can even wear them longer too if you like the look. They were about 40.00. Picture Picture Picture Picture At Marshall's I found the brand JAG. There used to be a brand JAG in the 80's but I am not sure if these are the same. They run a bit baggy, but the waist feels comfortable and they were no more than 20.00. They are not THE most stylish, but they look cute and they sure are comfortable. Picture Picture I took a risk on a pair of Adriano Goldschmied Ex-Boyfriend shorts I found at the Outlet Mall. They really look more like culottes than shorts but because of the bagginess I think they can be worn a little shorter. The bagginess of the short is distracting from the bagginess of the knees!! Who thought bagginess could come in handy? I still think too many wrinkles are showing on my knees. What do you think? Your opinions would be appreciated. Picture Picture Lastly, at Macy's I tried on the brand INC. Sometimes I have good luck with this brand and others I don't; it's just too young. But, I found these great shorts for about 67.00. They are really meant to be shorter, but if you roll them down, they will serve the purpose. Picture Picture Picture Picture I did try Chico's but I didn't like what I tried on. I am sorry, but I cannot wear NYDJ (Not your Daughter's Jeans). I feel like I am a sausage in a casing and they are so uncomfortable. They don't breath and the fabrics just are not soft to the touch. Author Wendy Packer Encino, CA 818-519-0433 jemsenc@aol.com Archives August 2013 July 2013 Categories All Magazine Shorts Video RSS Feed

No comments: